Monday, January 24, 2011

Makeup Look of the Day: The Gamine


Deriving from French, The Gamine literally means a very slender girl who is pert, impudent, or playfully mischievous.  Although Gwyneth Paltrow (above left) was made up to resemble Kim Novak (upper right), I think it's safe to say that the ultimate Gamine is- and always will be- Audrey Hepburn.  Because she is a natural beauty with a tomboyish charm, the Gamine doesn't wear a lot of makeup; she simply doesn't need it.
Italian actress Pier Angeli








This is a really simple look.  All it requires is a brow pencil, a little concealer, loose face powder, soft rose blush, eyelash curler, dark brown mascara, natural lip liner, and a semi-transparent pink lip gloss.  Extra styling (pulled back hair, turtleneck, etc.) adds to the essence of the look.

       PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT


This look requires a very strong eyebrow, as you can see on each Gamine featured in this post.  I never draw on my own brows since I have naturally dark brows so this was the first time I ever tried it.  You should use a pencil that is one shade darker than your natural brow color, and you should try to keep it within the lines of your natural arch.  Once I was done with the pencil, I used clear mascara to groom and set the brows so they would look as natural as possible.
Helena Rubinstein brown brow pencil

No comments:

Post a Comment